Skilling Up in a Remote World
As we continue to adjust to social distancing and remote communications, it's more important than ever to know where to go – virtually – to sharpen your skills to keep up in this challenging job market. Below are resources* to keep you skilled up and ready to learn and earn during these changing times.
*Some resources have advertisements and may be temporarily free.
Digital Communication Tools
- See if You Qualify for a Free Cell Phone.
- Free Texting and Phone Calls--here are several options to make free texts and calls from your smartphone. Keep in mind that some of the free apps listed may only be available in Android or Apple formats, so make sure you check your app store to pick your best option.
Free Learning Opportunities
- GED Preparation and Testing online help
- Mayor's Office of Employment Development's Digital Learning Labs free computer training
- Khan Academy's free access to practice exercises, instructional videos, and personalized, self-paced learning for all ages
Free Job Readiness
- Mayor's Office of Employment Development Job Readiness Tools--job search resources and registration for training options for employment and career development
- Center for Urban Families
- Enoch Pratt Free Library
- Grow with Google--free training, tools, and resources to help you grow your skills, career, or business
- St. Edward's Workforce Development Center provides daily updates to resources on unemployment insurance, financial planning for stimulus checks, and job listings.
- Top Ten Tips to help with a work-life balance under the current coronavirus pandemic
- Youtube Channel Technology for Teachers and Students
- Free Online Courses
- Occupational Training
- Maryland Dept. of Labor Programs--see individual programs for online options and check for eligibility for free training
- Johns Hopkins COVID-19 Contact Tracing Course--quickly learn required skills for the in-demand position
- Mayor's Office of Employment Development Assistance--get started on building a career and finding a job. Fill out this form to have an employment professional contact you within two business days to schedule an appointment.